viernes, 20 de noviembre de 2009

Day 03 - Kyoto. Lost again...?

Wake up at 7 o´clock, for the change oh hote in the east of Kyoto. I decide to take a bus pass for 1 day, to save some money, toward the station. What will be a general trend for most of the trip, got its start in the morning on Saturday. There was no way to find the 7Eleven where they sold the bus pass. And I with the luggage in the back. I was actually very close to the hotel, but the plans they offer have nothing to do with reality ... partly because the distances are deceiving a lot.
So, after half an hour walking and asking people on a perfect Japanese (pffff), I go to the train station. Lost again, this time by not looking at the map, thought he had controlled the environment after kicking the same streets ...


Finally at the station, get off the wagon (it´s not easy getting off a crowded car during rush hour, and loaded as a donkey ...), and way for the new hostel, Gojo GuestHouse. And... again, totally disoriented. Another half hour lost. Fortunately I found a good man who had nothing better to do, and accompanied me to almost the same door Gojo GH.
So, after 3 hours lost in the morning, after a well deserved shower at the new hostel, really start the day.


How to use bus in Japan
I open a short parenthesis to explain how to use the buses. Its use is complicated because, unlike the subway, all signs and announcements are in Japanese. Here are 2 doors, one half and another in the front, near the driver. You enter the bus through the back door, where usually there is a machine where you have to get a ticket, it indicates the stop where you've uploaded. In the front, there is a panel with numbers, and depending on where you've get on and where you get off, the number indicates the amount you have to pay to download. All this if you do not take a bonus, of course. When you go down you enter the ticket into a machine next to the driver the exact amount (between 150 and 220 yen). If you do not have exact change, there are machines where you can change small bills (1000 yen) or coins.




Besides bus driver, a yellow plate indicates his name.

Toji-ji



The temple precinct Toji-ji (means East Temple) contains one of the most famous pagodas in Japan, the five-storied pagoda, with a height of nearly 55 meters, is the wooden structure higher
in Japan.





Me infront pagoda.

Despite their age are able to support strong earthquakes because the material used to built them, is exclusively wood, which tends to sag when supporting very hard pressure, but not easy to break. It is also flexible, so it absorbs the seismic stress.

After visiting this temple, I decided to go to the famous Kyoto Imperial Palace and Gardens. But once there, I find they're closed! Aghh! With what it cost me to get there (2 bus lines and almost an hour). At least not raining (still...). I go toward the Nijo-jo Castle.

In the way, y pass again by Kyoto Station.
It is an impressive building constructed of steel and glass, which also contains an underground mall, hotels, restaurants ...







Nijo-jo

This impressive castle was built in 1693 as the official residence of the first Shogun (emperor) of Tokugawa. To enter you have to remove your shoes, and the inside is huge! It has all the walls and ceilings decorated with paintings. The palace has a floor designed so that whenever one steps on a creaking noise sounds characteristic. This will know if someone had broken into the house.




Ninomaru Palace.


Ninomaru garden.







Buff, enough walking around today. It is lunchtime, and as yesterday I liked very much the Nishiki Market area, I come back there to eat in the area.









When the market closes about 18, I walk around the shopping area of Shijo Street, a broad boulevard with shops selling clothes, electronics, local pachinko, people, people and more people (especially young, and very pretty Japanese girls). And from there to the hotel, it's time to take a rest. Of course, after finding the way back, because believe it or not, I've missed! I can not find the buses that take me to the hotel, and even with the plane orientation is not possible ...

I know in the room to Yun Young, a korean guy from Seoul who is spending a few days in Kyoto (it´s easy for him because Korea and Japan are separated only for a one hour flight). I intend to go for a walk, and though I'm very tired, I go with him. I like talking with someone ...

I was lucky to meet him. It is of the best regrets I have from Japan. (almost all the best regrets are people I have known. There are many nice people in the world ...).

Yun, this blog is dedicated to you!


Kanpai!

After several beers, it's bedtime. It was good the end of the day. Thank Yun!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario