jueves, 19 de noviembre de 2009

Day 02. Kyoto. One temple, two temples...

30th October 2009

Start my first day of sightseeing. It will be the first of several days visiting temples, temples and more temples. That's why I'm in Kyoto.
At 07:30 I leave the hostel, and the first problem that I encounter is how to get to the first temple? By bus, subway, train ...? After walking down and up the street lookinf for some information, I decide to go into a pub to ask. Me with my map in hand, and a photo of the first temple I want to go. And the guy at the counter, after trying to explain something to me several times and see my face ... "what are you saying meee?" decides to leave the pub and take me to the train to the temple. I say leave the bar because despite being the only worker, and having a couple of customers inside, accompanied me to the station leaving the pub alone. Great, isn´t it?

Kinkaku-ji (Golden pavillion)




This temple (originally called the Temple of the garden of the deer) was originally built in 1397 as a leisure town of the Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. His son turned the building into a Zen temple of the Rinzai sect. The temple was burned several times during the war Ōnin. The peculiarity, besides the beauty of the land surrounding it, is that the top two floors of the building are covered with pure gold leaf.

Ryoan-ji




The temple holds one of the gardens dried (karesansui) more famous throughout Japan. It contains 15 rocks arranged in a way that can not be displayed all at once. In 2002, scientists used computers to search for forms using the arrangement of the empty areas of the garden instead of the arrangement of the rocks, finding a tree pattern hidden within the structure of the garden. They say that it is so pleasant to witness the garden, our subconsiciente captures the pattern of the tree without noticing (very recommended to visit the link).

Ninna-ji





Once past the morning visiting the temples in the north-west, I take the train again to move towards the western area of Kyoto, called Arashiyama. The resort is lively, with food stalls, souvenir shops ... and the street from the station towards the temples, very crowded with people, full of souvenir shops, restaurants ... very nice. (Sounds ironic but it is true that it was fine).

Note: Needless to say, that 90% of the temples charge admission. An average of 500 yen (about 4 €) per temple. As much of my budget was dedicated to it maintenance...

Tenryu-ji

Source where the Japanese are fun to throw coins to the frogs ... sure after, life will smile much more ...





In this temple I was pleasantly surprised to see me assaulted by a group of Japanese girls, to make a group photo. After that, I was posing next to them several times to reflect the Western presence in the ancient Japan...

From there, walk toward the next temple. The trail takes you through a bamboo forest, quite impressive. Plagued by mosquitoes, who noticed my generosity in sharing with them my blood, and which gave a good account ...





Once I left my new friends based on "plas" on the back, I came to one of the temples that I have liked most of all over Japan...

Nison-in


Buddhist temple whose name derives from the two main images there in. It has a very scenic and relaxing garden, with a bamboo fountain spout which, when filled with water, hitting a rock falls in rhythm, which makes you sit there watching the garden and listening to the sound of water and bamboo for a long time...




Me in the garden...


Typical fountain at the entrance to the temples, to wash
hands and purify your soul...



Transporter (yes, like dogs, but more luxury) where geishas were introduced to go to the meeting place.


Japanese Cemetery, optimizing the space available for non-living ...

The last temple of the day was Guio-ji, a fairly small enclosure where the peculiarity is that everything was covered in moss ...





Well, enough of temples for today ...
On the way to the station, I decided to go to eat in a very small restaurant. My first meal in Japan. Having ordered some of the letter (without knowing what I ordered), I was brought a bowl of soup, noodles, and a type of very spicy onion and various spices ... very good, although I dindn´t know how to eat (the waitress had to explain me how to mix the ingredients)


Once in the city again, I decide to visit the Nishiki food market, called the "kitchen of Kyoto" market where you can find almost anything. From food (most of the things I did not know what they were exposed), kitchen utensils, clothes, souvenirs, ... to several temples (yes, indeed ...) into the market.







Having explored in depth the market, it's time to go to the hostel. It was a tired day, where the jet lag has taken its toll. Before dinner, I decide to visit a public onsen which is very close to the hostel. Basically it's like a swimming pool, separated by sex, where there are several thermal baths at different temperatures, from hot water, through hot water it is near the same temperature as the surface of the sun .. along with several bathrooms with warm water, cold and frozen (iced), all seasoned with steam sauna, salt sauna ... a very pleasant experience. The difference is that everyone goes there undressed. It is interesting to see a Western (that´s me) undressed with other 20 Japanaese men jumping from pool to pool ... (I haven´t pictures because I had no place to put the camera ...) and finally the bathroom I decided to give me a massage which let me starting the next day with renewed energy ...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario